Sunday, October 26, 2008

Headwinds!!...and shoulderwinds...legwinds...and hills

Yesterday, instead of packing the steeds up for a ride through St.Paul or Minneapolis, we decided the starting line would be home sweet home. Aaron drove his truck over with trusty bike in back about 9:15 am. We were still getting ready but all in all just about set. After much prepping, water bottle filling, air pressure checking, setting the crock pot full of “after biking chili” to simmer and the ever layering of clothing we were good to go.

We set out about 9:45 and headed out. Made a quick stop a couple miles away at Eriks bike shop for a map and ear warmers...we are heading into our first winter biking and we realized quickly that the ears get cold quickly!

After much window shopping we picked up a map, ear warmers and a mirror for D's bike. We have been wanting a mirror so that he can see me pulling up the rear as we ride since I generally follow last to make sure we don't lose anyone. Oh…and Aaron bought me a pink bell for my bike....thanks Aaron! We MUST spread the zen!

It was a really pretty day and we didn't have a path set in stone, we were just riding. Had a general idea of where we wanted to end up but the getting there was completely random. Matthew had a party to get to at 2:00pm on Palamino drive so we needed to work our way in that direction around the 2pm(ish) time frame so that we could drop him and his bike off there for some good ole' 12 year old boy video gaming fun.

It was a very very windy day and no matter which way we turned it seemed we were riding into the wind. This made hill climbing even more of an adventure…and there were lots and lots of hills. I became a raging bitch about 1:45(ish) as I had hit my wall. We hadn’t taken a significant break all day and had gone about 22 miles. The Raisin Bran I had had about 8:30am in the morning had long since worn off and frankly, I’d crested my last hill as far as I was concerned! After a good 7 minute sulk alone along side of the road, I saddled back up and met the boys further down out front of Falcon Ridge Middle School. We were closing in on our destination, Matthew was getting really jazzed up about making it to his buddy Joes’ party soon and all I could think of was “there is a “Kwik Trip” at the end of Palmino drive…they have HOT DOGS and GAS STATION FOODS!!” I was a woman possessed!




No comments: